I grew up in a small towns and in the North where the the rule was share and share alike. I'm a Creative Commons type of guy. Copy and paste ANY OR ALL OF MY MATERIAL anywhere you want. Hyperlinks to your own Social Media are at the bottom of each post. Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under my
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

Get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Save lives.


Countdown to next earthquake drill at 10:17AM, Saturday, October 17, 2022

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Reconstruction #1602 December 19 2018 Facial Recognition OFF



>> Sound On >> Best viewed Full Screen >>  Darkened Room

WestRock drywall contains asbestos.  We all know that, don't we, (at least I have stated it here, in the past).  T
ha reciprocating saw was being used by this worker and his assistant to rip into that WestRock drywall.  The asbestos dust is so fine 2 to 10 microns (a micron is 1 / 1,000,000 of a metre).  For comparison, a human hair is 70 to 100 microns wide.

It is disingenuous at best, even misleading, to say that it was just silica dust.  Asbestos is also a 'silica' dust.  Asbestos is a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals.  Asbestos from BC's Cassiar mine was Chrysotile, chemical formula is Mg3(Si2O5)(OH)4. (click any one of those elements for details.  


Neither of those two workers were wearing masks; nor any form of asbestos protection.  I've outlined the standard expected, and stated that here, in the past.


Reconstruction #1602 December 19 2017 Facial Recognition OFF
Edited for post on February 17, 2018

Reconstruction of 40+ year old studio suite on the 16th floor of Kiwanis Lynn Manor (KLM), Lynn Valley, North Vancouver, BC. The building has asbestos ladened material, everywhere.


1st phase of Reconstruction #1602

Part 1, replacing patio door and window had taken place December 8 - 12, 2017 while I was not in attendance. Thank you for relocating me, KLM. I moved back in on December 12, 2017. When I returned on December 12, 2017 I ran my hand over my grey bedspread. It was covered in dust.

Part 2 - December 19, 2017 – further patio door reconstruction (Video) The superintendent told me he “didn't think that I would have an further health problems as a result of this additional construction activity”, albeit I was living in the apartment at the time. I also heard [unnamed] (construction crew) express her own personal concerns to the reciprocal saw operator. She was not wearing a safety mask even though she was working in the construction area right adjoining the reciprocating saw then ripping through (presumably) asbestos ladened drywall.

Part 3 - February 14, 2018, eight weeks later - a crew returned to find the painting had not been done and the (new) patio door needed to be replaced. Probably another six to eight weeks.

Phase WHENEVER - since moving in, in Spring, 2017, on July 18, 2017 we were told that residence would need to keep everything three feet away from the walls with patio door and window. With everything so unfinished, even now eight months later, I have not been able to set up my furniture nor unpack, nor do an of my other projects: wherein I need my studio to be set up, including photography / videography and writing, and my studio for online work and my membership in an online Virtual Toastmasters Club.

From an engineering, strategic project management point of view, my company would have used PERT - Program Evaluation and Review Technique, rather than slavishly following CPM - Critical Path Methodology. In the end it would have been cheaper and more importantly, so much safer.

There are just so many renovation / asbestos removal projects going on all around in all of Vancouver's North Shore municipalities and the public are not informed (or inadequately informed), warned or given any direct instruction on the risks or recommendations so that people can take actions to protect themselves:

Lynn Valley Mall - the children playing at the toy store on a weekend, eight metres from the construction detritus, including a thick coating of grey dust.
Lions Gate Hospital – renovation adjoining the reception area (during my last PFT – Pulmonary Function Test on Thursday, November 23, 2017)
Argyle High School – coming replacement stated as being a seismic upgrade. But, the older building to be demolished is full of asbestos-containing materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment